Senior Building Control Surveyor | Slough
1. To check all types of building regulations applications in a proactive manner and ascertain compliance with relevant current legislation and local service standards, together with producing schedules of defects and undertaking statutory and discretionary consultations as necessary.
2. To provide pre-application and ongoing advice in the promotion and understanding of the Building Regulations and construction related legislation.
3. To undertake both statutory and other site inspections relevant to the building work to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations and keep comprehensive and accurate site records as required.
4. To implement both informal and formal enforcement actions to breaches of the Building Regulations including unauthorised work, under direction from management.
5. To provide technical advice on all matters concerning the Building Regulations to external customers and other Council sections as required.
6. To deal with Initial Notices from Approved Inspectors and within statutory time limits.
7. To enforce dangerous structures legislation, under direction from management.
8. To respond to notifications of demolitions received in respect of the Building Act 1984.
9. To issue hoarding and scaffolding licenses under the Highways Act.
At least 3 years’ experience in the application and operation of local authority Building Control activities including proven record of in-depth plan checking and site inspections on all types of residential work. At least 2 years proven experience in commercial and industrial plan and site inspections.
Have proven ability to work independently with own initiative and within service, departmental or corporate objectives.
In depth experience in additional Building Control functions such as dangerous structures, demolitions, hoarding & scaffolding licences.
In depth knowledge, understanding and an ability to interpret and apply current Building Regulations, associated legislation and codes of practice to all types of building work.
Has an excellent understanding and can apply the principals of customer care within the Building Control environment.
To have an understanding and commitment to equal opportunities.
Excellent written and oral communication skills with all sectors of the public, other building professionals and colleagues and the ability to compile concise and accurate records for both plan and site checking.
Good organisational skills with the ability to manage a varied workload with minimum supervision and guidance.
To have good IT skills and the ability to enter and retrieve information on common building control data base systems, including the use of Microsoft Word.
The ability to interpret the building regulations, and not be constrained by the use of the Approved Documents by thinking laterally and proactively for solutions to satisfy both the regulations and other disciplines.
To be capable of carrying out the full range of site inspections, sometimes at heights and concealed spaces and have a good awareness and application of relevant Health & Safety issues.
Possess either full chartered professional membership or working within the final stages of gaining an appropriate qualification from either RICS (Chartered Building Control Surveyor) or ABE (Building Engineer)
Holds a current and full UK driving licence with own car, which is available for work.
If you are interested in applying for this position or have any questions please contact Liam Heddle at 4Recruitment Services on either 0208 911 1083 or email@example.com