Senior Practitioner - Youth Offending Team – Basildon
Salary: £38,000 to £46,000 PA
Full-Time (37 hours)
Job summary and Responsibilities
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
In ECC we are “Serious about Social Work”. Having recently been announced as a Partner in Practice by the Department of Education and Essex Social Care Academy (ESCA) being the only Local Authority team in the country to be accredited by BASW as a CPD provider, this is an exciting time to join us. We have invested in our workforce and created a positive environment for our social workers to make a difference and achieve change for our most vulnerable children and families through direct relationship-based social work practice. We have supported our staff to have an understanding of systemic theoretical framework and models underpinning our interventions; to have access to the right tools, equipment and resources; and also the right supervision, training and learning opportunities they need to be strong practitioners.
Children and Families is recognised as a service in which social work can develop and prosper, with a culture of collaboration, integrity and compassion; promoting development and wellbeing of children, young people and their families; protecting them from neglect and abuse. Working together with partners delivering a range of early help, family support and effective social work interventions which build resilience, remove barriers and enable children and young people to look forward to a brighter future.
The Senior Practitioner in the Youth Offending Service (YOS) manages a complex caseload of high-risk young people and Looked After Children, subject to YOS intervention. Working closely with family, schools and key agencies to address the factors leading to offending.
With significant experience of social work and /or criminal justice practice and deep knowledge and understanding of youth justice and children’s legislation and the ability to build strong working relationships with key partners and stakeholders.
Essex Youth Offending Service was recently assessed by HMIP as “Outstanding”.
• Responsible for providing a source of specialist advice and professional consultation on complex cases to the wider multi agency team.
• Responsible for carrying out comprehensive, high quality assessments of young people using Asset+ and other YOS tools.
• Responsible for managing a highly complex caseload of high risk young people in accordance with National and Service Standards. Maintaining accurate and timely data, reports and presentations, using the Youth Offending Team Information System (IYSS).
• Develop effective intervention plans, evidencing input from young people, parents/carers, liaising with partnership providers to access additional services to support the young person, reduce the risk they pose and prevent further offending.
• Prepare high quality reports for Court or Youth Offender Panel, participating in a range of case conferences, court attendance, and statutory reviews, pro-actively taking the lead when a social care perspective is required.
• Accountable for conducting assessments and planning responses to ensure risk and safeguarding processes, such as MAPPA, are followed and reviewed.
• Delivers a high level of expertise in particular areas of practice, leads on those areas, carries out quality assurance processes and reviews key aspects of team performance.
• Builds strong working relationships with stakeholders and partners, representing YOT at external meetings.
• Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• A recognised social work qualification i.e. Diploma, degree or master’s in social work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent, with current registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as a registered social worker or alternatively a qualified Probation Officer.
• Evidence of continuing professional development aligned to any relevant Professional Competency/Capability frameworks or Knowledge and Skills Statements.
• Significant experience of front-line social work or criminal justice working with complex children or young adults.
• Deep and up to date knowledge and understanding of youth justice, children’s and other relevant legislation, regulation and guidance.
• Experience of mentoring both newly qualified and experienced staff and being a subject matter expert in professional practice.
• Experience of chairing meetings involving young people, family members and/or carers and other multi-agency professionals.
• Developing strong relationships with partners, other agencies and the local community to achieve joint objectives and offer a supportive framework for young people.
• Proven track record of clear decision making with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wider operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
- 24 hour one on one specialist social work consultant based within your geographical area
- 4Recruitment Services Employee Benefits Programme
- Our own dedicated payroll support ensuring you get the full benefits of your payment
Recruitment is done in line with safe recruitment practices. 4Recruitment Services is an equal opportunities employer.